Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Friendship?

Yoga is a “nityakarma”, writes my friend in his new blog. He boldly states the wisdom of the sages that it is a duty that one has to treat himself with, everyday.

Man, I know this guy all through my sane life. I have always remembered him as a principled guy. The guy not only just reads a book but really understands and follows the good portions of it. When we were in school he was sincere and a ritualistic guy. I saw subtle changes in him when he was in college, and, the years after that he turned more inwards I guess. The one fact about him remains the same over the years, he being a karma yogi. It gives him the strength and the courage to do anything under the sun. Often times I wonder where in the world he gets so much energy to do these things that he does.

My friend could draw a cartoon in few minutes when we were kids. I used to be so proud of him and tell my parents about it then. To this date whenever I mention his name my mom asks me if he is drawing cartoons these days. I tell my mom that he’s a painter and not into cartoons anymore.

I saw an advertisement for the ridiculous program by Paris Hilton called “BFF”- Best friends for ever. In this program contestants participate to become her best friends. She conducts various competitions and finally selects a person who she can hang out with. First of all the show is totally retarded not because of its idea but because the way it is taken. Secondly I find it strange that people do apply to these competitions to be friends with her.

My initial reaction to it was ‘Com’On, don’t insult my good friends’ but on a careful second thought I think friendship is tough to define and it doesn’t have a common definition across the board. Every one defines it in his/her own way. I have asked people about this and quite honestly I have heard some strange answers. Sometimes it is quite contradicting too. They range from people saying that money spoils friendship to some saying money is the only way to show true friendship, and, some saying one who drinks with them to one who prevents them from drinking and so on. Some guys really felt embarrassed when I asked them this question. J. Almost all the girls answered quiet honest for this question. They spoke right from their heart. Well at least I felt that way. Some people would want my opinion first. To those I would say that my definition is more of old school, “Uyir kudupaan thozhan” (Friend is one who is worth giving your life for). Whoever asked my response either made fun of my answer or said they were not like me.

Honestly if I put the pedestal so high even I wouldn’t qualify to be anybody’s best friend. So the above line would be possible in movies but in my short life so far I have come to realize that people come and go but very few leave memories to cherish for your life. Some continue throughout your life and even by their simple mundane activity make you proud of them and happy about them. To me one such person is a true friend and I am sure at least I have one BFF who practices and writes about “Yoga”.

1 comment:

Jaigan said...

i just dont want to write some thnx comment...it will be rubish if i do so...
Memories never die...its just that we forget to remember them...

I dont remember each day in our school when we sit next to each other..but I remember all the happy moments when we laughed from heart and not just by lips...

J